Medicine Hat SPCA is so pleased to announce that in consultation with Save Old Souls K9 Rescue, who closed their doors effective September 2017, we have set up a new program for senior cats and dogs in our community called 'Old Souls' Program.
We see animals of every age relinquished to the Medicine Hat SPCA, for a variety of reasons. Because older animals may have special age-related needs or have experienced recent disruption or stress, the shelter is not always an ideal environment for them. The Old Souls Program takes extra care to find a foster home and then eventually, an adoptive home, that best suits the needs and abilities of the senior dog or cat.
Animals that may enter the Old Souls Foster Program:
- are typically 10 years or older (large breed dogs), or 12 years or older (small breed dogs, and cats)
- have experienced a disruption in their lives due to change in residence, human companion illness or death
- may face health and/or mobility challenges and may require ongoing medical support, but are not experiencing unmanageable pain or suffering
WHAT WE DO
- We will complete a home visit with a new foster home, to review all policies & procedures and to answer questions.
- The Medicine Hat SPCA will provide ongoing support/consultation to the foster homes, and all supplies/medical care will be provided by the SPCA.
- Any ongoing medical care decisions will be made by the SPCA veterinarian, in consultation with the Shelter Manager and foster home.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
- Foster homes are needed to provide short-term care for a senior dog or cat. Sometimes they will be ready for adoption right away and may be adopted quickly. Other times, they may have medical issues that need to be fully evaluated and they may require care for months before becoming available for adoption.
- Foster homes must have the ability to attend medical appointments with their foster, to arrange adoption meet & greets, and to attend events occasionally.
- To apply to be a volunteer, please complete the application form online.
Seniors often have more medical needs, which results in more medical expenses. To make a donation specifically towards the medical care of the animals in our Old Souls Program,click here.