RELINQUISHING An Animal
If you are experiencing behavioral issues with your cat, such as urinating outside of the litter box, please check out our Cat Resources section first as there are many options available to you there.
- Consult with your veterinarian to see if they can access the ABVMA 'Tails of Help' program for you
- Apply for financing through PetCard
You can also contact Furry Friends Food Foundation for assistance.
Do you need to re-home for your pet?
- Check with co-workers, family and friends to see if they would like to have your pet
- Contact a breed rescue group.
- Contact your pet's breeder. Good breeders will attempt to help you with any problems or will take their animals back.
- Advertise in local newspapers
- Advertise at vet clinics in your area
- Advertise at pet supply stores
- Advertise online
Relinquishing a Pet to the MHSPCA
- $25 per cat or kitten (if spayed or neutered)
- $50 per cat or kitten (if not spayed or neutered)
- $25 per dog or puppy (if spayed or neutered)
- $50 per dog or puppy (if not spayed or neutered)
- Other animals (rabbits, guinea pigs etc) - varies
Donations of food, crates, pet carriers and other supplies are also greatly appreciated.
What to Bring With You
- Vaccination & Medical Records from your veterinarian
- Unopened bags of pet food
- Your pet's favorite bedding & toys
- Information on likes & dislikes (anything that will be helpful to re-homing your pet)
- Information on your family (lives with children, other pets etc.)