Lost & Found - Changes effective January 1, 2016


Frequently Asked Questions:

What is a stray animal?
Any animal that wanders onto a roadway, park, ravine or private property, other than the property owner, is considered to be stray.

What should I do if I find a stray dog?
For your safety, do not approach an unknown dog.  Instead:

Note the breed, colour, size and location of the dog; and - call Bylaw Enforcement at 403-529-8400 to request pickup of the dog.  The Bylaw Officer will take the dog to the Alberta Pound & Rescue Centre (APARC).

What happens when a stray dog or cat is picked up by Animal Control?
If this is the first time the dog or cat is caught running at large and it is wearing a license tag, the Animal Control Officer will attempt to take the dog or cat home free of charge.  The dog or cat can be returned if:

  • it is licensed for the current period

  • the owner information is up to date

  • someone 16 years of age or older is home to accept the animal

What should I do if I find a stray cat?
You can bring a stray cat to the Alberta Pound & Rescue Centre (APARC).  As with dogs, your safety is important. Use caution when approaching or handling any stray cat.  We recommend using a kennel or cat carrier to safely transport all animals.


questions about lost animals: 

What should I do if I lose my Dog or Cat?

  • Visit the Alberta Pound & Rescue Centre (APARC) to see the stray animals being held

  • You can reach APARC at 403-487-5671 or visit their website at www.aparc.ca