Employment Opportunity: Animal Health Assistant
Closing Date: May 15, 2017 at 12pm
TThe Medicine Hat SPCA has a 37-year legacy of creating lasting social impact by providing protective care for sick, injured, homeless and unwanted animals and by promoting humane attitudes and responsible pet ownership.
- 2-3 years’ experience working in an animal shelter and/or veterinary clinic.
- Proficiency in use of computers, including database management.
- Personable and able to develop a positive rapport with a diversity of experiences and backgrounds.
- Self-motivated; has the ability to set priorities and manage workloads with minimal supervision.
- Class 5 Drivers License is required
About the position:
- 40 hours per week, 8am-5pm. The ability to occasionally work evenings and/or weekends is required.
- Monitors the health of all SPCA animals, in consultation with the kennel staff, and ensures animals receive veterinary treatment in a timely manner.
- Prepares lists for the shelter veterinarian prior to each vet day of all animals requiring intake exams, vaccinations, deworming, microchipping or other veterinary treatments.
- Follows up on veterinarian’s orders regarding care/treatment of MHSPCA animals and is responsible for ensuring that complete medical records are maintained for animals under veterinary care and/or medical treatment.
- Performs all cleaning duties and provides daily care to cats in the Sick Room and dogs in Isolation.
- Books all spay/neuter appointments for shelter and foster care animals.
- Ensures foster parents bring their animals in for vaccines/deworming at the appropriate ages per schedule protocols.
- Transports animals to the veterinary clinic for spay/neuter appointments and for other procedures as needed.
- The office environment is within a busy animal shelter with a moderate noise level.
Benefits of joining the Medicine Hat SPCA:
- Opportunity to be part of a team committed to providing excellence in animal care, a diverse workplace and a great working environment
- Opportunity to participate in the agency Extended Health & Dental Benefits Plan after 3 months of employment.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter including hourly wage expectations to Nicole Anhorn, Shelter Manager, at email@example.com.