Employment Opportunity: Shelter Manager
Closing Date: Dec.22, 2017
The Medicine Hat SPCA has a 37-year legacy of creating lasting social impact by providing protective care for sick, injured, homeless and unwanted animals and by promoting humane attitudes and responsible pet ownership.
- Post-secondary education in a related field.
- 2-3 years of management experience required, preferably in a non-profit organization, supervising a team of 5+ employees.
- Strong customer service background required.
- Experience working in an animal care industry is an asset.
- Proficiency in use of computers, including database management.
- Personable and able to develop a positive rapport with a diversity of experiences and backgrounds.
About the position:
- 30-40 hours per week. The ability to work evenings and/or weekends is required.
- The Manager oversees the efficient and effective day-to-day operations of the shelter, which includes the functions of animal admissions, animal care, and adoptions. The Manager supervises all Kennel Assistants, Office Staff, and the Animal Medical Assistant.
- Conducts regular supervision with all direct reports. Hires and trains all shelter and office staff. Provides leadership and support in the development of a safe and positive organizational culture and becoming a workplace of choice.
- Provides assistance and advice to staff regarding animal isolation needs, medical care and treatment, and movement of animals within the shelter.
- Ensures the organization is kept up-to-date on new information regarding shelter best practices. Assists Kennel assistants when extra coverage is needed.
- Oversees the contract with the veterinary clinics, and balances the monthly veterinary invoices.
- Manages the Shelter Database, end of day cash out functions, bank deposits and completes bi-monthly grant reports to the City. Works closely with agency Bookkeeper.
- Develops and delivers Humane Education presentations in the community. Manages all adoption and/or community awareness on-site and off-site events.
- The office environment is within a busy animal shelter with a moderate noise level.
Benefits of joining the Medicine Hat SPCA:
- Opportunity to be part of a team committed to providing excellence in animal welfare, a diverse workplace and a great working environment
- Opportunity to participate in the agency Extended Health & Dental Benefits Plan after 3 months of employment.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter including hourly wage expectations to Katie Ayres, Executive Director, at email@example.com.